Pages

Sunday 17 May 2015

Guacamole


My recipe for this dish could not be easier and you have to make it if you’re having my burrito / any burrito. It’s also good as a dip for… anything really; just remember to keep it chunky for some texture giving bursts of individual flavour every now and again. Smooth guacamole isn’t right, we have teeth for a reason and that’s for chunky guacamole. FACT

  • Click Here to View Full Recipe

    +

    What you need:
    • ½ a red onion
    • 1 avocado
    • 1 chilli
    • 3 cloves of garlic
    • 1 lime
    • A bunch of coriander

    How to make it:
    1. I start by finely chopping the garlic and squeezing over some lime. I do this to prevent the garlic from being too overpowering in flavour. In short for garlic to take on its garlic flavour two molecules from different parts of the garlic’s cells are released to mix and react together. The longer you leave it the more cross reactions occur and the more potent the garlic flavour.  You can limit the number of cross reactions and therefore the potency of the garlic flavour by adding in an acid, in our case we add in lime juice. (I may do a more detailed scientific follow up to this at a later date with a further discussion of the similarities of onion and garlic regards to this).
    2. While the garlic is steeping in lime juice I finely chop the rest of the ingredients.
    3. Once everything is chopped I combine all the ingredients with the garlic. Using my hands I squash everything together; by using my hands I have a better control of the final texture of the guacamole.
    4. Now taste it! It’s at this stage you tailor your guacamole through adding in seasoning (salt and pepper) and more lime juice. If you like it hotter add in more chilli and if you love coriander add more of that! It’s up to you…what do you like? Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment